Welcome to Super Bole Sunday!
This Sunday there will be a bunch of men as big as trees who will gather on a playing field. They will, following a specific set of rules, proceed to knock each other down so in order to reach a number of smaller goals. The intent is to reach enough of these smaller goals so that they may attain their big goal, which is to win the game.
A word which refers to the trunk of a tree is "bole". And if you think about it we are all as big as trees -- just trees of different sizes. We have gathered on a playing field (the earth) to play a game (life) that has a specific set of rules (commandments) that we must follow if we want to win it (exaltation). The difference here is that in this game we do better if we lift others up rather than knock them down, and there don't have to be any losers. In fact, the less people that lose this game, the greater is the achievement for the winners!
In the Super Bowl a body big and solid like a tree can be a definite advantage. In life you can win no matter how large or how small or how average of a tree you are. Your spirit knows no bounds when it comes to growth. Regardless of your physical stature, you can spiritually develop a truly "super bole". And that is why this Sunday, while everyone is turning their time, attention and resources over to a temporal game played by someone else, we are going to celebrate our own Super Bole Sunday, enjoying some spiritual focus, growth, and bonding with others!
Here is your Super Bole Sunday kit to help you get the activity going whether you make it a family night or invite relatives and friends over to make it an even bigger activity...
TO EAT: Get whatever food, drinks and snacks you want to enjoy. Here is a page of Papa Murphy's coupons you can print out. Get the pizza today and enjoy fresh-baked pizza at your party tomorrow!
TO WATCH: If you need something to watch here are links to some Sunday-themed movies and shows. A couple versions of The Mormon Channel (has a wide variety of videos including the entertaining Mormon Message ads), BYUtv and an example of searching for a YouTube page where someone has posted uplifting videos:
GAMES: To make your Super Bole Sunday even more exciting we have a few games to add to the mix that you can play on your own.
- FOOTBOLE: This link has a page that shows how to make the traditional play-at-your-desk paper football, as well as how to play the game. We are going to adapt these rules for our game today -- make the football, divide into two teams, and take turns asking a question to each side (a list of questions is at the bottom of this page, or you can click here to open in a separate window). If the team gets the question right they get a point and can try for a field goal to get an extra point. If they get it wrong, the other team may try for a field goal to get an extra point.
- CHARADES: Play a normal game of charades with these or other words of your choosing. Have someone write out word cards, divide into teams and split the word cards between each team. Teams take turns having one person take a word card and act it out for the rest of the team to guess. Use a timer to keep turns from going too long, and the team that guesses the most words wins.
Suggested words: prophet, coach, helmet, scriptures, football, family, team, baptism, touchdown, Bishop, referee, loaves and fishes, mission, field goal, last supper, buffalo wings
- HOT POTATO: Have everyone sit in a circle. Get an object such as a Neft football (some people like to actually use a hot potato!) to toss between players. If there are younger children who are not as adept at catching you may sit around a table and roll a ball or marble between players. Each round will use a different topic or list. For example, if you are naming ancient prophets the first person might say "Moses" and toss the "hot potato" to anyone in the circle (you may choose to just pass the item around the circle if you prefer) who must say another ancient prophet, such as "Noah". The first person to repeat a correct answer that has already been given, or who cannot think of a correct answer, is out of that round. The round continues until only one person remains, then you can choose a different topic/list and play again.
Some suggested lists are: modern-day prophets, ancient prophets, anyone named in the scriptures, books of scripture, names of Primary songs/hymns/Christmas carols, animals, names of holidays, and parables Jesus taught.
We hope you enjoy our new Super Bole Sunday tradition as a fun way to work on making our spiritual trunks taller, broader and stronger. We are sure you have already guessed that it is not coincidence that it is happening on Super Bowl Sunday. As enjoyable as a diversion as that may be, we hope that as we grow spiritually, we will begin to regard worldly diversions as just that, and find more joy and fulfilment in spiritual ambitions, since once the temporal things are gone, that is where we will have our joy anyway!
So have a wonderful weekend, and even if your Sunday ends up being all about the Super Bowl, we hope it will not just be drenched in wild wings sauce, but also in gratitude to our Heavenly Father for all his love and blessings!
SUPER BOLE QUESTIONS...
Different people like different styles of questions so we have these followed by some multiple choice questions. There are a few extra tie-breakers at the end. Enjoy!!
1. Name one of the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon. (Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, Martin Harris)
2. Name one of the Eight Witnesses to the Book of Mormon. (CHRISTIAN WHITMER, JACOB WHITMER, PETER WHITMER, JUN., JOHN WHITMER, HIRAM PAGE, JOSEPH SMITH, SEN., HYRUM SMITH, SAMUEL H. SMITH)
3. According to the title page of the Book of Mormon, who sealed the plates? (Moroni)
4. According to the title page of the Book of Mormon, name the two groups of people that the Book of Mormon is trying to convince that Jesus is the Christ. (Jews & Gentiles)
5. Where in the gold plates did Joseph find the words that now make up the title page of the Book of Mormon. (last plate of the unsealed section)
6. In approximately which year does the 1st Book of Nephi begin? (600 B.C.)
7. Name one of Nephis righteous brothers. (Sam, Jacob, Joseph)
8. Name the servant of Laban that went with Nephi and his brothers into the wilderness. (Zoram)
9. Fill in the blank: When Lehi and his family made it to the promised land, they called the place __________________. (Bountiful - Hint: A city near Salt Lake City)
10. Fill in the blank. Nephi records Lehis first vision in 1st Nephi Chapter 1. In that vision, there came of pillar of ________ and dwelt upon a rock before him. (fire)
11. What was the device called that Nephi made from animal skins to help make the fire hot enough to make tools out of metal? (bellows)
12. What one event caused even Lehi to murmur? (When Nephi broke his bow)
13. What did Nephi do to Laman and Lemuel that helped them change their mind about building a ship? (The Lord allowed Nephi to reach out and shake or shock them)
14. Nephi did not have matches to build a fire. How did he start a fire? (He smote two stones together)
15. In which chapter of Jacob do you find the allegory of the olive tree? (Jacob 5)
16. What scripture mastery scripture tells you that you can seek riches, but that you should seek the kingdom of God first? (Jacob 2:18-19)
17. Who was the elder brother, Jacob or Joseph? (Jacob)
18. True or False: Jacob saw the Savior Jesus Christ? (True)
19. True or False: Laman saw the Savior Jesus Christ? (False)
20. On which occasion did Laman and Lemuel NOT murmur when they had to return to Jerusalem? (When they went to find Ishmael and his family)
21. True or False: Lehi died before he reached the promised land. (False)
22. Name 2 of the 4 Josephs mentioned in 2nd Nephi Chapter 3. (Joseph of Egypt, Joseph Smith, Jr., Joseph Smith, Sr., Joseph, Nephis younger brother)
23. Fill in the blank: Lehi was a descendant of ___________________. (Joseph)
24. True or False: The Brass Plates contained the five books of Moses. (True)
25. What percentage of the golden plates were sealed? (2/3)
26. According to the Nephi, which maritime explorer may have been inspired by the Lord to find the descendants of Lehi in the promised land? (Columbus)
27. Fill in the blank: The Book of Mormon is the most correct book on earth and is the ___________________ of our religion. (keystone)
28. What does the rod of iron represent in Lehis dream? (The Word of God)
29. What does the great and spacious building in Lehis dream represent? (The pride of the world)
30. Why was Lehi worried about Laman and Lemel after his dream of the Tree of Life? (They would not come forth and partake of the fruit)
31. What does the mist of darkness represent in Lehis dream? (The temptations of the devil)
32. Nephi kept two sets of records. One was for the secular history of his people. What did he write on the second set of records? (spiritual or sacred writings)
33. Two other prophets lived about the same time as Lehi. Name one of the two. (Daniel and Ezekiel)
34. Nephi built a temple in the promised land. True or False. (False)
35. After Nephi made a new bow out of wood, who did he go to so that he could be directed to a place where he could find food? (His father, Lehi)
36. The Book of Mormon mentions Christ more than the New Testament. True or False. (True)
37. 2nd Nephi 32:3 tells that we should ________ upon the words of Christ. (Feast)
38. Nephi tells us that the Book of Mormon was written in the language of his father and in the language of the _________. (Egyptians)
39. Name the "service" scripture mastery scripture. (Mosiah 2:17)
40. Adam fell that man might be and men are that they might have ____. (joy)
41. If you liken the scriptures unto yourself, then you are following the counsel given in this SM scripture. (1st Nephi 19:23)
42. Nephi tells us that in the latter days the Gentiles would have a great stumbling block. What caused this stumbling block? (The plain and precious things were removed from the scriptures)
43. This scripture mastery scripture tells us to make a choice between liberty and captivity; death and heaven. (2nd Nephi 2:27)
44. If you feel the Spirit and pray it might remind you of this SM scripture. (2nd Nephi 32:8-9)
What are the three missions of the church?
A) Recruit, go to church, say prayers
B) Temple marriage, have children, stay active
C) Proclaim the Gospel, Perfect The Saints, Redeem The Dead
D) none of the above
Who is the President of our church?
A) Thomas S. Monson
B) Spencer W. Kimball
C) George W. Bush
D) George Washington
Which of these was the brother of Ammon
How old was Joseph Smith when he went to pray in the sacred grove?
What year was the church restored on the earth?
What was the name of the prophet Brigham Young’s house?
A) Brigham’s House
B) Brigham Young University (BYU)
C) The Lion house
D) Church Headquarters
Which Temple is actually a current Temple?
A) Dallas, Texas Temple
B) Frankfurt, Germany Temple
C) San Diego, California Temple
D) All of the above
During what months are General Conference traditionally held?
A) April & December
B) April and May
C) January & June or
D) April & October
What is the name of our church?
C) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Which office of the Aaronic priesthood is in charge of passing the sacrament?
D) None of the above
How many books are in the Book of Mormon?
Where was Lehi born?
What pops on the apricot tree?
Which of the following is NOT a church magazine?
C) Mormon Times
D) New Era
Which one is a class in the Young Women’s program?
B) Mia Maid
D) Merrie Miss
What did Jesus tell us in Matthew about the hairs on our head?
A) Keep them clean
B) They will fall out
C) They are special
D) They are numbered
How many years ago was Jesus born?
A) 5 million years ago
B) 2013 years ago
C) 800 years ago
D) none of the above
What was the name of the stones with which Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon?
A) Urim and Thummim
B) Shadrac and Neshak
C) Paul and John
D) Lehi and Nephi
Who was Enos’ father?
What language, other than English, do most members of the church speak?
How many witnesses were mentioned in the front of the Book of Mormon?
What is the greatest gift of God?
A) eternal life
B) the resurrections
C) our families
D) the scriptures
What happened to Alma after he was rebuked by an angel for persecuting the church?
A) He became ill
B) He was hung
C) He rebelled
D) He was struck dumb
Who asked, "Am I my brothers keeper?"
What happened to the city of Zarahemla at the crucifixion of Christ?
A) It was translated
B) It was restored
C) It caught fire
B) It was peaceful that day
What does it mean to have a 10 cow wife?
A) She is mighty big
B) She is as strong as ten cows
C) She is worth gold
D) none of the above
When Christ Says "Become like a child..." Did he mean....
A) throw temper tantrums
B) stop sharing
C) Throw food
D) Become Meek and Lowly
What was the Liahona made of?
What hymn did John Taylor sing to Joseph Smith in Carthage Jail?
A) Come, Come Ye Saints
B) Till we Meet Again
C) Praise to the Man
D) A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
What was Lamoni's father willing to give away to know God?
A) All that he possessed
B) his concubine
B) his horses
After which temple did Nephi pattern the temple he built?
A) Herod temple
B) Solomons Temple
C) ancient Egyptian temple
D) none of the above
What was the name of the Brother of Jared?
D) Mahonri Moriancumer
A popular hymn is titled, "Choose the __________."
A) Right Path
The people of what city rejected the teachings of Alma the Younger?
For how many years did Joseph Smith serve as President?
Fill in the blank to this primary song. "Jesus wants me for a _____________."
C) Mother or Father
LDS stands for__________________________.
A) Loads of Daily Service
B) Latter- Day Saints
C) Latter- Day servants
D) none of the above
Daniel was thrown into a den of _________________.
D) all of the above
What Sunday of the month does fast Sunday usually occur?
A) The 3rd Sunday
B) The first Sunday
C) The last Sunday
D) The second Sunday
What Lamanite stood on the city wall and called the Nephites To Repentance?
A popular Primary song is "Give Said the Little _______________."
What does CTR stand for?
A) Choose to repent
B) Capture the Right
C)Choose the Right
D)Chance to renew
Fast Sunday is a day that
A) you run to church
B) You attend only one hour
C) You go without food
D) you are allowed to speed
Answer is: C
What was the name of the lamanite band that refused to take up arms against their brothers?
A) The Zoromites
B) The Anti-Nephi-Lehites
C) The Stripling Warriors
D) The Amalekites
"Ere you left your room this morning, did you think to......
A) brush your teeth
B) make your bed
D)Close the window
What did the iron rod in Lehi’s dream represent?
A) The right way
B) The word of God
C) The stairway to Heaven
D) Eternal Damnation
What appeared over the stable to indicate where Jesus was born?
A) a beam of light
B) a shadow
C) a star
D) all of the above
What is the first book of the Bible?
The Lord instructed Nephi to go and build a ____________.
A) a tower
B) a sling shot
C) a boat
D) a fort
Why do we have food storage?
A) To show off
B) To follow our Prophet’s counsel
C) To share
D) To resell to make money
Which of the following is not in the Book of Mormon?
D) 2 Nephi
How did the Church acquire the first Christus Statue?
A) It was a gift from the original artist, Bertel Thorvaldsen
B) It was a gift from Elder Richards to President McKay.
C) It was commissioned for the Church by Italian sculptor, Aldo Rebachi.
D) It was purchased in Spain from the Lladro brothers.
Which of the following is not a Book of Mormon prophet?
About how many pages are in the Book of Mormon?
How Many Mormons were tragically killed at Haun’s Mill Massacre?
Which of the following is not one of the Young Women values?
A) Good Works
C) Choice and Accountability
According to the Primary song, what do we hope to do when we have grown a foot or two?
A) Grow a few more
B) Get Married
C) Go on a mission
D) Get baptized
How long will the millennium last?
A) 600 years
B) 1000 years
C) 10 years
How many articles of faith are there?
Who Baptized Jesus?
C) John the Baptist
What was Harold B. Lee’s Middle Name?
What are the Primary Colors?
A) red, pink and purple
B) Red, yellow and blue
C) red, white and blue
D) rainbow colors
Which of the following is not one of the first four principles of the Gospel?
The man Nephi got the brass plates from was
Which is not a step of repentance?
How many times is General Conference held in a year?
D) 3 times
The Doctrine and Covenants is divided into what?
D) All of the above
How long did it rain while Noah was in the ark?
A) 3 days and 3 nights
B) a year
C) forty days and forty nights
D) about a month
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit
A) a fortune
B) the earth
In which book of the Book of Mormon is Jesus Christ's visit to the American continent fully recorded?
A) 3 Nephi
B) 1 Nephi
How many stripling warriors did Helaman lead?
What did the saints put on the surface of the Kirtland temple that made it glisten in the sun?
C) broken china
D) tin foil
What does the tree of life in Lehi's vision represent?
A) The love of God
B) The word of God
C) the creations of God
D)the wrath of God
Where was Jesus born?
How many years before the birth of Christ did Lehi take his family out of Jerusalem?
What does MTC stand for?
A) Mormon Teaching Center
B) Missionary Training Course
C) Missionary Teaching Course
D) Missionary Training Center
How many times did Jesus say we should forgive?
B) 3 times
C) Seventy times seven
What prophet said, "Do it."
B) Gordon B. Hinckley
C) Spencer W. Kimball
D) Howard W. Hunter
Who interpreted Pharaoh's dream?
Bonus Questions For Ties:
Which prophet called King Noah and his people to repentance? Answer: Abinadi
"Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it ____________." Answer: holy
What is the first book of the Book of Mormon? Answer: 1 Nephi